Located in Georgetown, south of M Street at 33rd Street and the C&O Canal, this building was constructed in 1929 by James H. Caton. Initially conceived as a one-story storage building, plans were revised during construction and a two-story commercial automobile garage was erected. Although the entire principal elevation facing 33rd Street is of brownstone, both the north and south elevations are of fieldstone at the ground floor with an upper story of brick. Caton’s Walk is part of the ongoing renaissance and redevelopment of western Georgetown and has remained an integral part of the historic industrial fabric along the C&O Canal. Cunningham | Quill was hired by the property owner to oversee the historic preservation, renovation and adaptive reuse of the building to a mix of retail, office and residential spaces. Cunningham | Quill's design for a third-floor steel and glass addition contains two live/work residences.
Awards: 2005 District of Columbia Mayor's Award for Excellence in Historic Preservation; 2006 AIA Washington DC Chapter Award of Excellence in Historic Resources; 2007 AIA Northern Virginia Award of Excellence in Historic Architecture; 2007 AIA Virginia Society Award of Merit in Historic Architecture; 2007 AIA Maryland Award in Historic Architecture; 2007 AIA Potomac Valley Award of Honor in Historic Preservation.
Photographer: Paul Burk Photography