MOTHER & CHILD
This historic three-story brick Colonial Revival house is one of the earliest examples of this style in Washington, DC. Located in the Georgetown Historic District, it has undergone many transformations since its construction in 1893. A 1961 modification removed the front porch and widow’s walk and relocated the front door to the side yard. Approved by the Commission of Fine Arts and Old Georgetown Board, the renovation scheme reinstates the house’s original presence by restoring the porch and front door, while adding a rear modern garden pavilion. With a glass connector lightly joining the two structures, the existing contrasts the new addition: a modern, yet contextual, pavilion for the kitchen, dining, and living areas on the ground floor and a new master suite above.
Awards: 2011 AIA Northern Virginia Chapter Award of Merit; 2011 AIA DC/Washingtonian Residential Design Award; 2010 AIA Virginia Society AIA Award of Excellence; 2009 AIA DC Washington Chapter Award of Merit for Historic Resources; 2009 AIA Potomac Valley Chapter Citation Award in Historic Preservation
Photographer: Maxwell Mackenzie