TUCKER HALL RENOVATION
COLLEGE OF WILLIAM & MARY
Adjacent to the famed Wren Building, Tucker Hall is the second oldest building on the campus’ historic Sunken Garden. Since its original construction in 1908, many alterations have resulted in misaligned floors, a “rabbitwarren” of circulation, and an overall lack of unification that persists today. The renovation of Tucker Hall, home to the College’s English Department, involved the demolition and replacement of eight classrooms and administrative space. To integrate the disparate parts of the building, incorporate natural light, and celebrate its well-loved features, the design preserves and updates an existing stair hall, re-opens a currently closed cupola, and creates a tiered student commons as a means to facilitate student and faculty interaction.
Sustainability: LEED Gold Certified
Awards: 2016 AIA Northern Virginia Chapter Merit Award in Historic Architecture; 2015 AIA Virginia Merit Award in Historic Preservation
Photographer: Chris Cunningham